Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Advice so far...

Well I have 1.5 days to go until the BIG day....yikes!!!!!!!!!! Here is some advice for future brides...and I am sure I will have more nearer and post wedding.

1. This is about a life long marriage, not a one day wedding. Make sure you don't forget to plan the marriage, not just getting lost in wedding planning. Be sure to talk to your fiance and friends about non-wedding things throughout the process. Friends only want to hear so much. Don't drive them away. And remember your relationship with your fiance goes so much deeper than the wedding. With that said, HAVE FUN! When else will you get to throw a huge(maybe small) party with all your friends and family celebrating the love and joy you two have!

2. Break out of the box! Your wedding should express you and your fiance, not fit perfectly into the model wedding guides and tradition tell us. I am not telling you to throw ALL tradition to the side. I certainly am not...but you don't have to let anyone dictate how you celebrate your LOVE! (Check out some of my links on the side for ideas how to do so... and stay tuned for future posts.)

3. Think of your guests. I think to many brides get the attitude "It is my wedding and I'll do what I want." Yes it is your wedding and you want HAPPY GUESTS. Make waiting times short. Feed good food and drinks (even if you are only serving cake and punch). Most of all, provide ways for them to HAVE FUN! (more suggestions to come) Dancing may be fun for you and your fiance but not for many aged 50 and older. How else can you make your wedding fun for them? Or a fancy sit down meal may be enjoyable for you, but what about all the restless kids... If your guests have fun, so will you.

4. Borrow and buy used.

5. Let your girls pick their dresses. Really let them pick something they will be comfortable in and wear again. The dresses don't have to be matchy matchy, just give them some guidleines and set them loose. I made this mistake. Sorry to my girls who are now stuck with vibrant, apple green cocktail dresses...that are beautiful. However, we aren't the kind of girls that attend cocktail parties, so chances are there $120 plus alterations dresses will only be worn once...what a waste.

6. Enlist family and friends. Usually they want to help. This is our personal biggest money saver. (luckily, we know many talented people.) Let them serve cake, decorate, do your flowers, run the music, sing, design stationary. They probably would love to help.

7. Pick a beautiful location. Even if it costs more (which it doesn't have to), it will SAVE BIG on decorations. My place is ugly, but cheap and big so I need lots of decor..guh. Luckily I listened to one piece of my own advice: BORROW! Even better, hold the ceremony and reception at the same place: save on decor, rental fees, and gas.

8. Don't give favors unless thay are edible, charitable, or homemade. Really only your grandparents want coasters with your faces or wedding date on it...if even they do. Don't waste the time, money, resources.

9. Once again: HAVE FUN AND EXPRESS YOURSELF!

No comments:

Post a Comment